“What’s the most important aspect of faith for you?”
A friend of mine asked me this question. Not just any friend, but a woman whom I met when we decided to take one of our daughters to counseling for some pretty serious anxiety. I can honestly say I would have lost my mind in that very stressful, heartbreaking situation had I not been able to lean on my faith. One aspect of my faith is that I have hope that the struggles in this world are temporary. That helps me know the world isn’t going to end when I or a loved one is struggling.
So, what is the most important aspect of faith for me? Wow, that is a hard question, huh?! Have you ever thought about that? I know I never asked myself that question until this friend asked me. Her question was intriguing though, so I started spending some time contemplating. First, how is faith defined?
What is Faith?
Romans 8:18 says:
“Glory will be revealed to us. We eagerly long to be set free from bondage to corruption (this broken world). We hope for adoption into God’s family and the redemption of our bodies.”
“For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.”
Dictionary.com defines faith as
- confidence or trust in a person or thing:
- belief that is not based on proof:
I might say I define faith as this: hope in the unseen God. I believe that He has saved me from my sins through Christ’s sacrifice on the cross even though I did not see it happen. Because of this, I know the Holy Spirit gives me power to live for God on this Earth. I have hope that I will see God and get to spend eternity with Him.
What are Aspects of Faith?
Second, what is faith made of? Faith entails so many emotions and beliefs!! It’s hard to narrow down just one aspect of faith that I hold more important than any other. It’s as if each is a thread that together weave the most beautifully complex tapestry ever. But still, in order to answer the question “What’s the most important aspect of faith for me?” I needed to know what aspects of faith built mine. Important parts of my faith include:
Believing is the beginning of faith. It is a decision of the mind and a change of heart from God.
“There are only two kinds of people: those who say to God, “Thy will be done,” and those to whom God says, “All right, then, have it your way.” C.S. Lewis
Having hope for the things unseen is a basic definition of faith that Romans 8:24 gives us. Also, having faith means trusting in His word. For me, trusting in the Bible means clinging close to it. Faith produces (over time) this hungry craving to know His word more and more. Learning involves digging into His holy word (here’s how I do that). Connecting is establishing communication through recognition that the Holy Spirit was sent to live in your heart and interaction with Him. That being said, I think the most important aspect of faith for me is the relationship. This is what I mean.
Most Important Aspect of Faith for Me
I have a relationship with the God of the universe. When I decided to truly believe with my head and my heart, repent and be heartbroken when I sin, trust Christ’s sacrifice and follow Him, God sent the Holy Spirit to dwell in me.
This is found in the beginning of Acts where Jesus promises His disciples that the Holy Spirit will come and empower them. Then in Chapter 2 they’re all filled with the Holy Spirit. Paul also talks to believers about the Spirit filling us with God’s love and with hope in Romans. The Holy Spirit of God lives and dwells within me. This is relationship. Through this relationship, He guides me, convicts me, and gives me love, hope, peace and wisdom.
“(and) Hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.” Romans 5:5
My relationship with God gets me through each day.
- In the shower in the mornings, I’m able to say good morning and thank Him for another day of life.
- I get to talk to Him on the drive to work. Many times I’ll call my mom and we’ll pray aka talking to Him together.
- He connects with me through His holy word and in those conversations He gives me hope, encouragement, wisdom, peace, and teaches me so much about His goodness.
- Anytime I step outside, I give Him thanks for all the beauty (even the West Tx beauty) 😉
- During my tasks at work, I listen to and (mentally…ok sometimes out loud too) sing praises to Him.
- During the trials of the day, I go to Him for strength.
- I’m able to hand Him my grumblings and irritations and trust Him to take them.
- At night, I confess my mistakes to Him, am flooded by His good forgiveness and give praises for all that He did throughout the day.
- He covers me with His love.
He protects me with His majesty. He washes me with mercy. I run to His arms because He is my everything.
Is the relationship perfect? No. For I am an imperfect human. A sinner. But I believe that God gave His one and only Son to pay the price for my sins and stand as my advocate. Now, I’m adopted into His family. I have a deep daily relationship with my creator. THAT is amazing beyond words (and the most important aspect of faith for me)!!! What to you is the most important aspect of faith? Hope? Growth? Redemption? I’d love to know with a comment below!
If you’re not sure about all of this but are interested in asking some questions or getting into a truly connected relationship with Him, feel free to email me and we can talk some more about it. 🙂
Love & joy friend!
- When God Gives You a Verse at Just the Right Time: How I Recognize those Gifts to Find Hope When it Hurts
- Putting on the Whole Armor of God
- The Battle Plan For Spiritual Warfare Against Doubt and Fear
- What Are Justification and Sanctification; The Differences Between the Two
- Advice on How to Identify False Teachings